Save Energy, Save Money
Throughout the Racine and Kenosha area, homeowners and business owners are asking how to save money on energy costs. One way to accomplish this is by improving the efficiency of the energy usage in your home. According to internet sources, the average American spends about $2,000 annually on energy costs. By implementing some basic cost saving strategies, your efficiency will improve and your energy costs may be cut by up to 50%, simply by using a common sense approach to your current needs.
The Federal Trade Commission offers the following straightforward action plan to start you on the path of saving money:
- Ensure your home is properly insulated. Look for the R-value when evaluating the insulation - a higher R-value number equals better insulating power
- Have your heating and cooling equipment properly cleaned, maintained and inspected annually by a professional
- Check the foundation of your home for cracks or openings and seal accordingly
- Close foundation vents on your crawl space, if applicable
- Close doors to rooms not in use
- Use ceiling fans to circulate indoor air to maximize flow
- Wrap your water heater in an insulating jacket
- Install programmable thermostats to automatically adjust room temperatures according to use
- Hire a professional to properly assess and seal gaps around service pipes and ductwork
- Seal flues in fireplaces not in use, install draperies and install weather-stripping around doors and windows
- Ensure landscaping isn’t obstructing the airflow around outside your heat pump
- Replace old, irreparable equipment with high-efficiency models
- Comparative price-shop for home heating oil, and if available natural gas and electricity providers
- Sign up for budget-billing with your energy source provider
- If you’re on a fixed income, and unable to pay high energy bills, enquire if assistance is available in your service area - there are often programs available that will help reduce your energy costs
When using an outside contractor, always be sure to do your homework. Check their rating with the Better Business Bureau and other local regulatory or licensing agencies. Also, ask the contractor for references, and call them.
Southport Heating Home Services employs licensed, trained and professional technicians who can assess your current situation and offer suggestions to maximize energy efficiency that will reduce your energy costs. Call our office or click here to schedule an appointment today!