AC Maintenance in Wisconsin
Schedule Home AC Maintenance Today
It can be easy to forget about your air conditioning system until it breaks down, leaving you with costly repairs. That’s why all homeowners should call for regular maintenance and checks to ensure their equipment stays in good working condition year-round. Fortunately, Southport Home Services proudly offers comprehensive AC maintenance in Wisconsin, so your system is always in top-top-shape. Our goal is to diagnose existing problems and prevent further issues, helping your AC unit work better and last longer.
For technicians that will make sure your AC unit is functioning at peak performance, call (262) 383-4040.
Common Air Conditioning Problems for WI Residents
Southport Home Services knows how to perform affordable AC repairs for any problem you’re having. However, you may be able to prevent repairs by performing a maintenance check on your system, allowing you to stop problems before they spiral out of control. Use this checklist to diagnose current issues with your air conditioner, and make sure to call our AC maintenance pros the next time your system is on the fritz.
The most common air conditioning problems include:
- Refrigerant leaks – When coolant starts leaking in the air conditioner, the unit will not perform properly. This could be due to a leak or the unit may have been undercharged at installation. A sign this may be occurring in your AC unit is if the temperature in your home keeps fluctuating. An HVAC technician will need to locate, repair, and test for a refrigerant leak if this is the case.
- Dirty or clogged filters – If your AC unit is taking a prolonged amount of time to cool your home, your air filter may be dirty or blocked. Installing clean air filters will keep your AC unit running efficiently, and is one of the easiest, most inexpensive maintenance tasks you can perform on your HVAC system.
- Drainage Issues – Much like the filter, drain lines can become clogged with foreign objects and dirt. After the drain pan fills up from clogging, it will leak, causing damage to the AC unit and anything near your drain pan.
- Condenser Coil Problems – Charged with removing the excess heat removed from your home, the condenser coils’ job is of serious importance. Located outside with the compressor, condenser coils are prone to weather damage and often get dirty or rusty, resulting in airflow problems. Typically, these can be cleaned with your outside hose, but if they get too dirty, an HVAC technician may need to clean them with chemical cleaners.
- Compressor Malfunctions – The compressor is essential to the operation of your AC unit. It propels refrigerant through the coils to carry out the heat exchange. If the compressor is not functioning properly, your AC unit will not cool your home. If there is a lack of refrigerant, the compressor will run too hot and seize. Too much, and the refrigerant will return to the compressor, causing it to fail. Professional AC technicians will ensure you have the proper level of refrigerant to keep your compressor and AC unit running.
Preventative Maintenance for Air Conditioners
It’s a good idea to make sure your Southeast Wisconsin-area home is ready for the hot and muggy summer by performing regular AC maintenance checks. Not only will this prevent future problems with your HVAC unit, it will also allow you to enjoy more consistent AC performance when the temperature starts to rise.
Simple preventative steps you should take to keep your AC unit in working condition include:
- Inspecting air filters once a month during hotter parts of the year, replacing them when needed, and cleaning replaceable filters periodically.
- Visually inspecting the HVAC unit every month to ensure the unit is level on the ground, and making sure things like the insulation on the refrigerant lines is still holding.
- Keeping the outside unit clear of tree branches, bushes and other foliage within a few feet. This will prevent foreign objects from entering the unit and keep the area clear for maintenance.
Reasons Why You Should Schedule Annual AC Maintenance
In the age of non-stop, in-your-face digital advertising, the difference between a necessity and a non-essential service is often blurred. If you bought into every consumer commodity thrown at you, you’d be drinking Pepsi and eating McDonalds for three meals a day and stay lovin’ it the whole time. But here at Southport Home Services, we know firsthand that regular maintenance actually is crucial for the performance of any type of machinery. Air conditioning units are no exception to this rule, and the benefits of regular AC maintenance can be felt by any homeowner.
By calling for periodic AC maintenance, you will be able to:
- Maximize Efficiency & Minimize Cost: If you had your AC installed properly, it will run for years. However, even machines that are built to run for years still need a check-up once in awhile to continue operating at peak performance. With an air conditioner, there’s no check engine light to let you know that somethings wrong, there’s just a decrease in efficiency and an increase in cooling costs. Every year you skip maintenance, your unit's operating efficiency can decrease by 5%. Over time, your HVAC system accumulates debris on crucial components. The indoor evaporator coils collect dust, while the outdoor condenser coils gather dirt, grass trimmings, and leaves. This build-up can impede airflow and block heat transfer, but can easily be prevented with regular maintenance—saving you up to 15% in cooling costs over time!
- Avoid Repairs & Replacements: Not wanting to shell out the cash for regular maintenance is understandable, especially if you’ve just spent several thousand dollars on what’s supposed to be a dependable machine. In some cases, you might be fine for several years without any maintenance. However, there may also be unforeseen issues occurring within your system. Climate conditions or electrical problems can cause a breakdown in your air conditioner. With regular tune-ups, studies show that 50% of cooling problems are preventable. And if you wait around for a serious AC issue to occur before getting your unit looked at, it may end up taking several hundred dollars to fix it. Ultimately, by scheduling annual maintenance, you can save yourself a lot of stress and money in the long run.
- Get the Most Out of Your Warranty: Some people assume that regular AC maintenance is unnecessary because even if you need a repair, you can just use your warranty to get a brand new machine. Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case. Many new air conditioners actually require AC maintenance as part of their warranty agreement. Check your AC unit’s warranty for this under “Eligibility”,” Requirements”,” Exclusions” or a similar section. Manufacturers understand that a well-maintained air conditioner is less likely to need a warranty, meaning that in many cases, periodic maintenance is necessary to get the most out of your system.
- Prolong Your AC's Lifespan: The lifespan of your AC system depends on a host of variables. The climate and temperate region are big factors, and the usage itself obviously comes into play, as you can only use a machine so long before system fatigue sets in. However, the most important factor for any AC unit's longevity is regular maintenance. On average, air conditioners last between 10-15 years. Yet a properly maintained air conditioner can last as long as 20-25 years. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, only 42% of central air systems receive annual maintenance, even though preventative AC maintenance is the number-one thing you can do to increase your unit’s lifespan. Save yourself the expense of repairs or full replacements and keep your air conditioner running efficiently for decades by scheduling annual maintenance.
- Protect Your Investment & Your Home: Every summer, air conditioning units start working overtime. If your unit hasn’t had a recent tune-up, this sudden strain can cause problems bigger than just an air conditioner repair. After a long, idle winter, your condensate drain may become clogged, interfering with your system’s ability to control humidity, and in extreme cases, leading to water damage in your home. And according to the National Fire Protection Association, air conditioner induced fires cause an average of 20 deaths, 140 injuries, and $82 million in property damage in the U.S. annually. The sad part is that these accidents are easily avoidable with routine maintenance. A spring tune-up is the ideal time to make sure your machine is running properly and prep it for the coming summer months!
Be Proactive, Not Reactive. Schedule AC Maintenance Before it's Too Late!
The bottom line is that there are plenty of reasons to schedule annual air conditioner maintenance, no matter what type of system you have. It may seem like an unnecessary cost when your unit is running fine, but a complex machine like an air conditioner doesn’t have an unlimited lifespan, and in the long term, you will only save money, stress, and time by hiring a technician for maintenance. Contact Southport Home Services to sign up for our Southport Maintenance Club today to get annual tune-ups, along with 15% discounts on all repairs and priority service appointments. We are available 24/7 for Southern Wisconsin AC maintenance, and all of our HVAC technicians are certifies to deliver nothing but the best. And if that’s not enough reason for you to call Southport already, we also back our work up with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, applying to all installation and repair work for 30 days. Remember, at Southport Home Services, if you aren’t satisfied, you don’t pay!
Emergencies happen. Don't worry about after-hour charges ever again.Sign me Up!
Maximize Equipment Efficiency
It's simple. Well-maintained equipment works better!I need That
Make your home comfort equipment last longer with regular maintenance.Not Convinced?
15% Discount on All Repairs
Who doesn't love a good discount?I'm Sold!